Quantcast

Welcome to the Vizio Co-Star Forum!

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by dandroid, Jun 28, 2012.

1. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the latest addition of GoogleTVForum.org dedicated to the Vizio Co-Star GoogleTV box! Anyone planning on getting one of these?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

Sweet, I hope this box sells well. Vizio makes good gear at a good price.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Looks interesting, here is a link for overview & Specs.

Video & some Specs - here.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No plans to purchase here but of course if it turns out to be a must have product, as good as the new Sony box at half the price, that could change. My best guess based on what little I know now, the Sony will be worth the premium, just as the first Sony box, the NSZ-GT1 was worth the premium compared to the Revue, I know that given hindsight and owning both but that wasn't easy to know at the start. Fortunately for my needs, the differences aren't great and both are good deals for me, just the Sony is the better product and will be the better value over the long run.

Possible differences that could make the Sony NSZ-GS7 worth the premium and make the Vizio box irrelevant for me.

1. Better processor.
    2. More RAM.
    3. MPEG-2 handling.
    4. DTS handling.
    5. Backlit remote.
    6. Better firmware updates (very important and Sony will be much better unless I miss my guess).
    7. Installed apps included.
    8. Bigger selection of codecs and formats supported.

Of course I don't know the differences yet but I don't see how Vizio can make the same box at half the price so I expect several of the above to be part of the explanation, which ones won't be clear until the devices have been in consumer's hands for a while. Once all of the differences are known, then it will easy to make an informed decision. I do have a Vizio LCD HDTV and have nothing against the company but reading about their Blu-ray players makes me believe this box won't be the killer deal compared to the Sony box some think it is now.
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Well I'm definitely looking to buy another internet device.

Currently my only internet device is the Logitech Revue - so I want to have some kind of backup in case my Revue goes kaput.

The thing that would hold me back from buying the new Vizio GTV box is the tiny keys on the small controller.

Overall I've been pleased with my Revue - although I was disappointed that my Revue wasn't able to download the new 3.2 update. No big deal really - as it's working fine on the 3.1 update. I really like the keyboard that comes with the Revue. So I might even just buy another Revue.

I need to see if Vizio will make an optional keyboard available for their new GTV box.

I had also considered purchasing the new Google Nexus tablet and connecting it to my TV - however upon further research I found out that the Nexus tablet doesn't have an HDMI port.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  6. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Has google mentioned any GTV product during I/O so far?? This is a 2 day conference..right?
  7. ChrisG8

x
    I tuned into a Google TV developers conference of some kind for a little while then needed to leave and by the time I got back, it was either over or my Google I/O app didn't find it. There was mention day 1 of Sirius/XM being added. Overall, no question but that the Nexus products and Chromebook and a few other things Google got much more attention than Google TV.

I don't think that conference is important, all that is important is that the new Google TV products are big improvements of the original Google TV products and the products sell well.
  8. ChrisG8

The fullsize Revue keyboard is great in my opinion as well. I would think the new Google TV boxes can use the keyboard, I picked up my fourth K700 keyboard for $28 recently. I have a PC connected to an HDTV which I don't much like to use but for the sites that block Google TV, it is used and adding the keyboard made it a lot better and easier to use. I haven't put the 4th one to use yet but I might see how well it works with my Sony NSZ-GT1 since the only thing I prefer about the Revue over the Sony box is the keyboard.
  9. ChrisG8

Indication is only 1 USB port, does the new Sony have 2?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. ChrisG8

I just confirmed the Sony box does have 2 USB ports.
  11. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Yes, 2 USB ports / File System FAT32/NTFS: supported (added here)
  12. ChrisG8

There are going to be a lot of differences between the Sony and Vizio boxes and we need to identify those in the coming weeks.
  13. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Does anyone have documentation comparing the new vizio and Sony hardware? I would love to see those side by side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
  14. ChrisG8

To get a comprehensive comparison, the products are going to have been in consumer's hands. I already know a few differences and have mentioned some in various threads but I don't have a complete list by any stretch. Product specifications from Vizio are skimpy so far and if we based a comparison on what is available at the company sites, the differences would be huge but very wrong. We don't even know the chip used or RAM in the Vizio player yet.
  15. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I own a Vizio 3DTV,(E3D320VX) and am caught in the middle myself..while the price is attractive,you will notice this box only has one port in back either for USB or HDMI..Not sure which.while it will make my life alot easier and more "unformi" being I also own a Vizio blu ray as well.

While on the upside of things the Marvell Chipsets greatly enhance Google TV,I'm waiting to see what LG and Samsung do.
    Both are going forward with GTV,but I've only seen the Samsung box on CES via youtube.For future reference,the Samsung box
    looks identical to the Revue.

But I will see soon which way I'm heading from here.
  16. ChrisG8

I don't see an optical audio output yet. I use optical audio output with my Revues.
  17. ChrisG8

The best possible product from Samsung, if they really will have Google TV, would be an updated Revue. Take the existing product with keyboard, update it with the new Marvell ARM processor, greater RAM and most recent software. I have seen nothing that makes me believe Samsung has purchased the product line from Logitech so that is just wild speculation.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  18. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

No I didn't mean that Samsung bought the Revue from Logitech..what I mean is,in appearance..their box looks close or identical to the Logitech Revue,a friend told me the same thing from his observation
  19. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Samsung showed off a prototype GTV box and blu-ray player at last year's (2011) CES - although they hyped their own smart tv platform more at the CES show:

Samsung shows off Google TV companion box and Blu-ray player -- Engadget

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung had no GTV devices at this year's CES - but rather they showed off an android TV box with built in HD camera called the "InTouch":

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...19-samsung-launch-smart-tv-converter-kit.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early this year Samsung announced they would be releasing a full television with Google TV baked in (by the end of the year) "targeting high-end customers":

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/4530-samsung-launch-google-tv-second-half-year.html

and also mentioned in the Korea Herald here:

http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120208001077&cpv=0
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  20. ChrisG8

I understood what you meant. The fact we have heard nothing further Samsung makes me wonder if Samsung has decided not to bother with a Google TV.