Quantcast

What are the best Apps for NSZ-GS8/S7 you found?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by thegrimmling, Oct 18, 2013.

1. thegrimmling

thegrimmling New Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has found any buried gems in the Google Play store for the NSZ-GS8/S7?

What I really wanting is an app like Tune-in radio and iHeartradio to listen to all my local radio stations on and streaming radio stations that broadcast via Shoutcast and such.
  2. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

I use TuneIn radio. :)

Admittedly, it's via their web page, but you can make a shortcut and drop it where-ever you like.
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

For non-entertainment oriented apps that extends the capability of the GS7, the "RepliGo Reader" PDF reader app, and "PrinterShare" (with the "Premium Key") printer app.

In the entertainment category: I'm constantly using the installed Flixster and IMDB apps in conjunction with the " PrimeTime" native app.
  4. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

No doubt in my mind the two best apps are
    1 channel
    Navi-x

Watch movies, documentaries, sports, foreign tv , TV series etc. They are the main reason for my purchase of Google TV.
    If you have an IP camera then

IP can viewer.

With this you can monitor your IP camera on your TV and if you connect a USB stick to gtv you can record from your IP camera.

Hopefully if/ when jelly bean arrives I can install xbmc and then I need nothing more from gtv
  5. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I am sure comments like this are just music to the ears of content providers. And we wonder why it has taken so long for Hulu+ and others to warm to the GTV. If all you need is XBMC and Addons just get an inexpensive PC, put OpenElectric on it and you'll be far happier.

Philip
  6. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

Hello Philip. It might be more useful if you list your favourite apps and what they do - which is my understanding of this thread. Why would i waste my time with another pc when google tv does all i need in one small box. I have a USB drive connected so that I can record from my IP camera and download films etc
    I also love
    Google photo I have all my photos uploaded and can see them on TV
    YouTube as above but with all my home videos
    Google music with over 8000 of my mp3's readily available.. But.. Everyone should already know about them and the point of this thread is to let people know what other useful apps are available. One other point my previous box was 2nd gen apple TV and guess what - they sell on eBay for more than 3rd gen because of xbmc so maybe some of those people with ageing apple TV will upgrade to Google TV once jelly bean is available..
  7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Navi-X is no longer available in the Play store
  8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

PlayOn is an app I use and like. Basically it allows playing Hulu and Hulu Plus on a PC and viewing it through Google TV. The PlayOn server for the PC is a free download, at least it was last time I checked and PlayOn app from the Play Store is also free. Of course other PC only streaming is also accessible using PlayOn with Google TV but I don't use it for that much. The companion PlayLater allows recording of various streaming sites, again Hulu is the one of value for me since programs there are often only available a brief period and by recording for later playback, I don't miss them. PlayLater is a subscription service but I purchased a lifetime subscription early last year.

PlayOn and PlayLater do require a somewhat powerful PC. My over five year old ancient PC with a modest Intel Core Duo barely worked with the software but my three year old PC with an older Intel Core i7 processor handles both really well so I transferred the license from the ancient PC to the old PC.
  9. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

- Plex for all local media streaming
    - Serenity which is a very good Plex client
    - ViMu, a video player
    - Mizuu, a really nice Plex alternative
    - Netflix
    - Imdb app
    - TV which launches my ATV3 attached to the HDMI in
    - PlayOn

philip
  10. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

Yes I am surprised to see its not there - specially as it was only updated a couple of week back! It looks like it can be downloaded from other websites. My version I currently working very well
  11. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

Hi Philip - Thanks for the tip about Openelec It looks interesting reading the wiki page, I could be tempted but have got so many other options at the moment that I will probably be lazy and just stick with my existing.

12. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

It is very interesting and runs on very low powered systems. The thing about XBMC is that slowly but surely the streaming sites like Amazon Instant Video no longer work properly. The same with Netflix. So if one is after one media player or system XBMC is less appealing than just a few months ago. Have a read about Bluecop's excellent Amazon addon which no longer works, and he apparently will not be revisiting those addons. Even some committed XBMC users are now recommending a Roku as a second unit for those services which XBMC cannot access. The reason I brought up the XBMC issue in the first place is that the moment content providers see it, navi-x, mkv, nzb, etc... they think of the dark side and refuse to provide premium content. It would be a shame to have this happen to GTV.

The same thing happened when Boxee came out with the Boxee Box. To get premium services unfortunately a device has to be locked down quite a bit.

Anyway have been interested in XBMC and Plex for a long time. GTV is lucky to have one of the best Plex clients around. When you think of it the current GTV is really only missing Hulu Plus. It's a pretty great player even with the 3.2 OS.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
  13. thegrimmling

thegrimmling New Member

Yeah, I think the biggest issue is the Honeycomb OS.

Saddly, my PS3 now has TuneIn, so it leaves me wondering why I bought my box. I will say that the NSZ-GS8's Youtube App runs better than the PS3 version. But the Netflix app on the NSZ-GS8 is a few versions behind PS3.

I want jellybean.
  14. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

For watching movies I would say first is 1 channel app, then show box app, noobroom website, navi-x app, and finally tvportal app.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
  15. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Open Launcher works like a native app. It is more versatile than our homepage and can be used w/another of my favorite apps, Launcher Pro.

The Terra Time App w/the live wallpaper is another Favorite of mine. It displays the Earth in realtime and used w/Moon Pro give yer Homescreens a spectacular look. Also it took me a while but I finally realized the Earth, Moon, Stars and Sun moves according to NASA satelite imagery.

Pandora and AOL Radio better known as Slacker Radio are two of my favorite entertainment apps.
  16. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

A few miscellaneous apps that work well.

Motor Trend is amazing, even if yer not an Auto sports fans. The high HD quality videos show views from countries I've only visited in my Navy days. But there is no way I could have seen the sights and sounds this app provides.

The All Recipes app provides easy access to a culinary Smorgasborg of delights to please any palate. Not only does it render recipes and cooking tips, the video feature lets ya see why yer cooking experiments didn't quite work out.

Amazon Videos App. Well what needs to be said. Linked w/our Primetime app it is the ultimate in Amazon Video Management!

IMBD is a must for finding actors, movie titles and info not provided for in the Primetime app.

And I'll end w/these apps:

The Weather Channel
    The Video Player
    Underground Weather
    Ace Spider Solitaire

And last but not least, the native Youtube App used w/the Soul Movie app.

Carl
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013