Quantcast

XBMC for Google TV

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by skull791, May 5, 2013.

1. skull791

skull791 New Member

So dose anyone knows if you can install XBMC on Google tv since there is no NDK support?
  2. jschall

jschall Member

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  3. skull791

skull791 New Member

How can I forget. If its not compatible with device then is not available. Story of Google TV.
  4. androidtv

androidtv New Member

5. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Exactly.
  7. guest

guest Active Member

Wow. What a smart move on the part of Exo Level. They've trademarked the name Android TV and registered the URL Home . I can see Google, easily, shelling out $10 million to buy the trademark rights to the name Android TV.
  8. Travel

Travel Active Member

How about the Google auto-upgrades? The cable overlay/prime Time? What's the browser situation like? From the two reviews on Amazon, it seems you can only use the Play Store through a PC; there was some mentioning of freezes and rebooting frequency. and something about rooting to get the system to run optimal. Will it pair with the k700 keyboard? Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through just to get a box that runs XBMC.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

We'll see but I doubt Google will pay anything to Exo Level or anybody else for rights to use Android TV if they decide to put Android TV on any product package or device. Google owns the rights to use Android and I believe can use any generic name after Android without having to pay rights. Android tablet, Android TV, Android toilet, you name it, I sure think Google can use it without paying fees.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. guest

guest Active Member

If what you say is correct, I don't see how Exo Level was given trademark protection for "Android TV".
  11. ChrisG8

I don't know what kind of rrademarks Exo Level may have registered but I don't believe for a second Google will be required to pay Exo Level a penny to use Android anything on their products. I am not a trademark attorney, or any other kind of attorney for that matter, but I can't see how Exo Level can generate revenue by requiring companies license the name "Android TV". I do accept that Exo Level can trademark Exo Android TV or whatever company name they use with their products followed by Android TV but that is about all that makes any sense to me.
  12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Actually, if anything Google can stop Exo from using the brand name of a Google Engineered product. It would be similar to a device maker suing MSN for using the word Windows. Google allows various companies to brand their products Android as long as they are powered by that system. Not the other way around.

That said, I hate it when companies change the name of products after they have been on the market for some time. It causes confusion as far as referencing & product recognition is concerned. When I was looking for Webtv at Best Buy years ago, I couldn't seem to find any. A sales rep finally looked up the product and noticed they stocked MSNTVs. I can see the same problem happening again down the road. No we don't have any Google TVs...Oh, you mean Android TV!
  13. guest

guest Active Member

Hey Carlszone. Former WebTV/MSNTV2 user here.

This is what is posted on the homepage of Home androidtvdotcom :

Android TV is a trademark of Exolevel. Federal trademark registration pending. ± Exolevel is not associated with Google, Inc. in any way. * Android is a trademark of Google, Inc. * Android TV™ is a trademark of Exo Level Inc. Copyright © AndroidTV.com

Here are the facts:

On Friday, October 11, 2013, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for ANDROID TV by Exolevel, Inc., Park City, UT 84098. The USPTO has given the ANDROID TV trademark serial number of 86090034. The current federal status of this trademark filing is NEW APPLICATION - RECORD INITIALIZED NOT ASSIGNED TO EXAMINER. The correspondent listed for ANDROID TV is MARK PLAGER of PLAGER SCHACK LLP, 16152 BEACH BLVD STE 207, HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA 92647-3821 . The ANDROID TV trademark is filed in the category of Computer & Software Products & Electrical & Scientific Products , Communications Services . The description provided to the USPTO for ANDROID TV is Set Top Box Sets; Dongles, Video Processing Computers, Television Sets; Video Displays.
    ANDROID TV - Reviews & Brand Information - Exolevel, Inc. Park City, UT - Serial Number: 86090034

Above this paragraph, it says: Status Update! On Monday, October 21, 2013, status on the ANDROID TV trademark changed to NEW APPLICATION - RECORD INITIALIZED NOT ASSIGNED TO EXAMINER.

No way in hell a USPTO examiner is going to grant Exo Level a Trademark for "Android TV"!

Exo Level needs to sue Plager Schack for legal malpractice for even suggesting they had a chance of being granted a trademark for "Android TV".
    Welcome to Plager Schack LLP
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  14. guest

guest Active Member

On the other hand, the domain name androidtv.com was registered to the owner of Exo Level in 2006! Was Google using the word Android on any of their products or marketing materials back then? I don't think so. Exo Level may bank that 10 million yet. Whois Lookup | Domain Availability - Registration Information
  15. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Interesting...

It still seems Exo level has a lot more to gain by Google using the name Android TV. I just don't see them seeking financial compensation from Google. But stranger things have happened.
  16. guest

guest Active Member

17. ChrisG8

Unless Google is selling watches called Android, I see this as a frivolous suit and the watchmaker has no chance to win. I agree Google can not sell an Android watch without infringing but I sure don't see how Google can be prevented from selling Google watches with their little green robot on them, Google can use that logo on their smart watches in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 2